Monday 15 August 2016

Chapter 3 of the Yager Youth Leadership Conference | Unforgettable

The Yager Youth Leadership Conference 
was 
unforgettable.

I wish I could remember every single moment. 
There were so many amazing moments. 
-
I remember the Chad Connelly talk. Chad Connelly is the SCGOP chairman. 
He gave such an impactful presentation on the history of America and why we are free today. 
I wish more people heard that talk. Everything he said was everything Americans today need to hear.

-
A couple also gave a talk about how they built their Amway business (network marketing business). It was great to hear how they did it and how they're still growing as well. They had great energy, and set an example for us young single people building the business. 
-
The fact that the Yager family was around was amazing to think about. I didn't realise how accessible they would be. I am so thankful for that. 
-
Another amazing person I met was
(Click his name to go to his website)
He is a motivational speaker who I immediately connected with when I first heard him speak. 
I really look up to him as a motivational speaker.
-
Giving a Speech
One of the privileges I had at YYLC was being able to give a speech in front of everyone there.
I was elected as president of Council D. To be honest, I don't think I did very much as far as being a leader. I'm not really sure if I fulfilled that role. But one thing I did want to make sure I was able to give to everyone was inspiration and hope for the future that appears so dim in headlines and around social media.
I can't really remember what I said in my speech, but I made a Facebook post on my page recalling most of what I tried to remember. It's pretty much along the lines of what I had originally said at YYLC. Here it is:
This year had a big down- my grandmother passed away after a year long battle with cancer. And some may overlook that as something of little significance thinking she was old and it was her time. But just because it may have been her time doesn't mean her passing should be easily forgotten, that grieving would be easy because "it was her time". I didn't understand how much it'd  hurt when I would go to funerals and look at at photos of the deceased. Until I saw the funeral book of grandma. And I thought, "I can't believe we are at this point. All I have is this book with your photo on it, and a collage of all the photos we managed to take of you." I felt like I failed her in not fulfilling my life's mission and by not being financially independent and thriving to help her and have the time to be with her. 



Shortly after, I decided to attend the Yager Youth Leadership Conference, a conference I knew I was called to attend since 2014, when I met @smith_anca13 @dexter_stp @rosendostp and a few other young people at the Yager FEC. They told me about YYLC, and our team here on Guam knew we'd go at one point. It materialized this year. I didn't know what to expect, frankly. I had no expectations for some reason. I had been so numb for a while, and was mostly filled with guilt that I wasn't the granddaughter I should have been, guilt of not being the best version of myself, etc. but as soon as I arrived to the conference, I realized that no matter the faults I had carried with me there, my purpose was bigger than that, and that the people I'd meet would believe in me and love me. 



I was in Council D. And we had to give our speech with words that started with "D". I gave my council president's speech in memorial of my grandma to let each and every camper at YYLC know that life is so short, and that you must make DECISIONS now and make your DREAMS a reality. You can't waste time and get DISTRACTED. 
I ended my speech with a quote from Dexter Yager speech called "Why Not Diamond?" "Don't tell me how bad you got it! Tell me how good you're gonna get it! Don't tell me about your problems! Tell me about your dreams! Dreams are the solutions to your problems! HOW BIG IS YOUR DREAM TONIGHT?" 

I will never forget YYLC,

and I will be back! I love you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment